I’m Thomas Kast, the man behind Salamapaja. I grew up in Karlsruhe, Southern Germany and since about 15 years I live in Oulu, Finland. Besides my day job and family, I spend my time being a passionate photographer, videographer and tour guide. Click here to visit my website.
About my photography:
- Mostly I concentrate on capturing landscapes, especially the mystic Aurora Borealis. Through my photos I am trying not only to capture visual beauty, but it is important to me to convey the atmosphere and the feelings I experience.
- When I am out with my camera, I always try to keep my eyes open for patterns and details in nature. To find these, I need to switch off my landscape mind and refocus on close-ups. This often helps me to see the landscape afterwards with a fresh pair of eyes.
- On my website you find a seleciont of my photos in my portfolio. To see all my photos, you can browse through the galleries on my website.
About my videography:
- Being fascinated by nature and technology, I also doing a lot of time-lapse videos. These projects of course include landscapes, auroras and nature, but also people, traffic and so on.
- In the Video section of my website you can see some of my work.
About my tours:
- Tour guiding is something I do since autumn 2012. Besides my mother tongue German, I am fluent in English and Finnish. I am still working on my Swedish.
- You can find more info in the Tours section.
To me, Northern lights are one of nature’s most amazing miracles. There are only few things better in life than to see auroras dancing in the sky. I consider myself lucky that I have seen many so called shows; each of them was unique. The colors are usually pale, but they can be strong at times. A moving curtain can stretch as far as your eye can see. Sometimes it is as if the sky is filled with piano keys: someone is pressing them and light appears, instead of music. As if this would not be enough, a corona can open up. Countless rays become visible in multiple colors mostly right above you. For me personally this is the icing on the cake, it feels like looking into the soul of Northern lights. Waiting in the cold for hours can be hard, but seeing a show from Lady Aurora is priceless.
If you have any questions about my work, licensing photos and videos, my tours or anything else, please contact me via the contact form. I will be happy to hear from you!
Hopefully you enjoy what you read and see, just as much as I do writing and shooting,